Monday, January 10, 2011

the project.

I am the type of person who believes in the sanctity of books. Books, to me, have always been temples, much in the way we consider our own bodies to be. As a child, I was often outraged at the unfortunate placement of price stickers, or the sheer balls it takes to stick loads of senseless STUFF all over pristine, beautiful, crisp smelling, friendly books. In the same way I love books, I also love bookstores. Recently, in one of my pilgrimages to my local BAM, one book in particular caught my eye. I am, admittedly, the sort of person who on occasion judges books by their covers, and this one held a particular magnetism.

THE book. 
The book was called Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith- an author with whom I am surprisingly unfamiliar with. I went home that night, possessed by the innate need to research this book. I liked its' facebook page, found the author's blog, website, amazon page; it's an understatement to say my research needs were fulfilled. I came to the conclusion that this book and I were destined to cross paths. And so, today, I made my return trip to that same BAM, my mom and brother included in my mission. After a somewhat frantic and irritated search for its new location, I proceeded to the check out, my paper-bound trophy in tow.

A bit of background information: I was recently complaining to my mom that my blog was feeling... empty. I haven't written in months, because I haven't felt like anything going through my head was SO interesting and crucial that it was necessary to post it online, for all the world to find. However, today at Books-A-Million, my mom provided enough inspiration for every day of the next few months. "Why don't you blog about your book?" So here I am, sitting in my June Cleaver kitchen, my dog in a diaper and Chinese food on the stove, hunched over my laptop, writing once again. Here's to hoping I keep up with it, and to hoping you keep up with me. Maybe by the end of this project, more than four people will know this blog exists. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment